Thursday 5 February 2015

The Ikebana Experience

"Ma, I've given my name for the ikebana competition on Monday!" My daughter's eager announcement blanked me out for a second ... firstly I've never heard of that word before and secondly the competition was just two days away!  My weekend looked daunting!

We sat down to browse through the net to understand what "ikebana" was all about ... it is the Japanese art of flower arrangement.  A good friend of ours gave my daughter a few basic lessons on arranging the flowers using kenzan otherwise called the spiky frog which fixes the flowers in the containers.  My daughter had to also learn the names of flowers and creatively name her arrangement. By the end of Sunday my persevering offspring proclaimed very grandly that she was ready to try out a few arrangements on her own. We shopped for flowers and kenzan and then rummaged around the cupboards for containers.  And here is the final colourful outcome:

 

Susan concentrating on her ikebana
SunBurst
Unity in Diversity
Innocent Purity

Awakening

Guardian Angel

And not surprisingly, in spite of the last minute learnings and practice, little 'Miss Enthusiastic' won the third prize!!

No comments:

Post a Comment